You can turn out several batches of these easy Christmas crinkle cookies in a hurry (gluten-free or regular cake mix), so if you need a last-minute cookie to bring to your cookie exchange, this dessert recipe is a snap to pull together.
It’s not Christmas without Christmas Crinkles! Here’s an easy recipe for Christmas crinkle cookie using a box of cake mix, plus all the types of Christmas cookies you can create from this simple recipe.
- Christmas Crinkles
- Why make these cookies for Christmas
- Ingredients to make vanilla crackle cookies
- Recipe tips
- How to make Christmas crinkle cookies with cake mix
- Types of crinkle cookies
- More gluten-free Christmas recipes
- Christmas Crinkle Cookies
Why make these cookies for Christmas
- Super easy Christmas crinkle cookies recipe! This is a recipe for cake mix cookies with that fun crackle effect. These are soft, tasty, and one of the easiest holiday cookie recipes you will probably ever make.
- Make them gluten-free or with your favorite cake mix flavor! We have a few variations but you can use different cake mix flavors.
- Easily color them into red and green for Christmas! You can also make these gluten-free crinkle cookies for any celebration and change the colors for party themes with food coloring.
Ingredients to make vanilla crackle cookies
- 1 box vanilla cake mix (gluten free) or funetti flavor – if gluten-free is not a concern then any cake mix works. Make sure to use a vanilla, white, or funetti flavor that lets the food coloring show for Christmas colors.
- 8 ounce container of frozen whipped topping – make sure to allow time to let it thaw in the refrigerator first. You can also use a nondairy brand of whipped topping.
- 1 large egg – the binding agent for cookies
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract – extra vanilla flavor
- red and green food coloring – the fun Christmas colors!
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar) – for coating crackle cookies
- Use funetti, vanilla, or white cake mix. I used a gluten-free funetti cake mix for these photos.
- The dough is a bit sticky. Scoop it with a cookie scoop and plop it directly into the powdered sugar to coat then form it into a ball with your hand. After it is coated in powdered sugar it is easy to handle.
- Optional to use any food coloring, natural food coloring, or use beet powder or spirulina powder to color your cookies.
How to make Christmas crinkle cookies with cake mix
As always please see full recipe directions in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prep a baking pan. In a large bowl, beat together the vanilla cake mix, egg, whipped topping, and vanilla until combined.
Step 2: Divide the dough in half and place one half in a second bowl. Add red food coloring to one bowl and green food coloring to the other. Add more food coloring to each as necessary until you reach the desired color.
Step 3: Put the confectioners’ sugar in a medium bowl. Using a cookie scoop, shape the dough into 2-inch balls and place into the bowl of confectioners’ sugar. Roll around until covered. Place the balls on the baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
Gently press each cookie down slightly with the palm of your hand to help make crackle cookies crack.
Bake for 12 minutes, until set. The cookies will start to crackle as they bake.
Types of crinkle cookies
Mix Christmas crinkle cookies up with various flavors. Just use a box of gluten-free or regular cake mix and try these cookie version:
- chocolate crinkle cookies – chocolate cake mix
- red velvet crinkle cookies – red velvet cake mix
- white vanilla crinkle cookies – white cake mix
- German chocolate crinkle cookies – German chocolate cake mix
- gingerbread crinkle cookies – gingerbread or spice cake mix
- peppermint crinkle cookies – use vanilla or chocolate cake mix and add peppermint extract instead of vanilla extract. Also can add crushed candy cane into the batter.
What is the most common Christmas cookie?
The most common Christmas cookies that everyone loves to make are Christmas crinkle cookies, peanut butter blossoms, pizzelles, gingerbread cookies, and sugar cookies.
How do you make crinkles in cookies?
Gently press each cookie down slightly with the palm of your hand right before they go into the oven. This separates the powder sugar and cookie dough balls and creates a crinkle or crackle effect in cookies.
More gluten-free Christmas recipes
I hope you enjoy this gluten-free Christmas Crinkle Cookies recipe! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER for a feature and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to give the recipe a star rating in the recipe area and leave a comment below.