Made with frozen bananas and creamy coconut milk, this 5-ingredient vegan banana ice cream is rich, creamy, and healthy without processed sugars! It’s not your typical frozen dessert treat – it is so much more!
When the heat is on there is nothing better than a heaping scoop of cold ice cream! Bananas are one of the tastiest yellow fruits to create a naturally sweet ice cream! You can freeze this slightly for a soft serve ice cream or let it set longer to savor slowly every bite!
This beautiful vegan banana ice cream mostly uses only 2 ingredients, although I include a dash of vanilla flavor, salt, and tablespoon of natural sweetener. The combination takes this frozen treat to a whole other level – soon to be one of your most talked about summer desserts! Plus, just like my peanut butter banana oatmeal it’s sooooo good with a drizzle of peanut butter and chocolate on top!
This was inspired by a combination of my strawberry banana ice cream and coconut milk ice cream on this site, and pairs well topped with this amazing dairy-free chocolate ganache.
- Why this is the best banana ice cream ever
- Vegan ingredients
- Instructions for no-churn banana ice cream
- Vegan banana ice cream variations
- Multiplying the recipe
- Top tip
- Related vegan ice cream recipes
- Ice cream toppings
- More healthy homemade ice cream recipes
- Vegan Banana Ice Cream
Why this is the best banana ice cream ever
- This satisfying treat is sure to capture a sweet tooth craving, and without the guilt of eating sweets! It is rich, creamy, healthy, vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free!
- Vegan banana ice cream with coconut milk is so easy to make in 10 minutes with 5 ingredients!
- This recipe is the stuff we live for in the summertime! We still want that bathing suit body and who would have guessed you can have the creamiest most natural ice cream from fresh frozen bananas! It blends alone thick but add some coconut milk and you are heading to tropical paradise – I kid you not!
We use quality ingredients that are vegan and healthy without extra added sugars.
- Coconut milk – use full fat canned coconut milk. Using light coconut milk makes this banana ice cream crystalize, so be sure to use the full fat version, which is quite healthy with good fats.
- Bananas – you start with fresh ripe bananas to start and slice them into coins then freeze them. Here’s how to freeze bananas. Alternatively you can find frozen banana slices already prepared in some grocery stores in the freezer section.
- Maple syrup or agave sweetener – to add just a touch of extra sweetness to this dessert. .
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions for no-churn banana ice cream
No need for an ice cream maker here! This no-churn vegan banana ice cream just blends together then freeze and enjoy it! Let’s get started!
Prepare the frozen bananas or use pre-frozen ones. Again, here is how to freeze bananas.
Add the ingredients to a food processor or blender.
Blend until smooth and transfer to a freezer container.
Freeze for 4 hours and enjoy your cooling snack after dinner or anytime!
See the recipe card for full details and instructions.
Vegan banana ice cream variations
To change this up a bit, here are a few variations to try!
- Vegan strawberry banana ice cream – blend in 1 cup of fresh strawberries in place of 1 cup of frozen banana.
- Vegan banana chocolate ice cream – blend in 1-2 tablespoon Dutch process cocoa powder (start with one tablespoon until you achieve desired taste.
- Vegan banana ice cream coconut milk left out – skip the coconut milk and sugar altogether and just blend 4 cups of frozen banana.
Multiplying the recipe
You can double or triple this vegan banana ice cream recipe. In the recipe card just click the icon for the servings to 2x, 4x, or 6x. Freezing will take longer if it is multiplied because it will be more ice cream!
Be sure to also see this strawberry banana nice cream version made without coconut milk on my website!
Use a good food processor or high powered blender to make homemade banana ice cream. It whips it together quickly and prevents chunks so that it blends into a creamy smooth consistency.
I use this food processor and if using a blender I double the recipe and use a Vitamix.
Also, since this banana ice cream makes a small amount, use a small shallow square or rectangle glass container to freeze it.
Store your homemade vegan banana ice cream in the freezer in a sealed air tight container for up to 3 months.
Use frozen bananas to start with as this cuts the freezing time in half! You’ll have a tasty and extremely healthy dessert treat ready in no time!
Is banana ice cream healthier than regular ice cream?
Homemade banana ice cream is healthier than any other ice cream as it has natural sugars and fiber that don’t cause sugar spikes. Plus this vegan banana ice cream is dairy-free with healthy fats rather than using heavy cream like traditional banana ice cream.
What is a vegan banana?
Bananas are naturally a vegan food, but ensure it is not being contaminated with other products choose organic bananas.
What is the fake banana flavor called?
Sure you can have the fake banana flavored ice cream made with isoamyl acetate (that is the name of the fake banana flavor), but you can totally taste it is fake! Using Fresh Bananas is what this banana ice cream is all about and you can taste the authentic taste!
Related vegan ice cream recipes
Looking for other vegan recipes like this? Try these:
- Easy Homemade Cauliflower Ice Cream Recipe
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie (Nicecream Smoothie Recipe)
- Double Chocolate Vegan Ice Cream
- Healthy Cranberry Ice Cream With Butter Rum Chocolate Sauce (Vegan)
Ice cream toppings
These are my favorite homemade ice cream toppings to serve with my vegan banana ice cream. You can also add peanut brittle, chocolate granola, chopped nuts, almond butter, homemade Nutella, or peanut butter drizzle!
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Ganache
- Easy Fresh Fruit Compote (Strawberry or Blueberry)
- Vegan Date Caramel Sauce
- Basic Granola Recipe
I hope you enjoy this healthy vegan banana ice cream recipe! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below.
More healthy homemade ice cream recipes
- Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (made with Greek yogurt)
- Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream