Serve these healthy, baked gluten-free crab cakes with spicy southern Greek yogurt dipping sauce and a side of cornbread muffins and guests will be talking about it for years to come!
Gluten free crab cakes baked and broiled to crispy perfection! Maryland or Dungeness lump crab cakes are a favorite dish that can be easily made at home in as little as 30 minutes!
Why this crab cake recipe works
- low fat – traditionally crab cakes are fried, but these are baked and broiled, reducing oils and keeping it a low fat dish.
- gluten-free – the ingredients are made with gluten-free breadcrumbs and recipe tips for a tasty patty that doesn’t skimp of flavor!
- healthy – these gluten-free crab cakes are loaded with vegetables, made without cornmeal, and come with a healthy Greek yogurt dipping sauce that takes crab cakes to a whole new level while staying healthy!
- crab meat is packed with protein – crab meat and the sauce provides 16 grams of protein per serving.
- rich in omega 3 – Crab, per 3.0 oz, contains 351mg per serving of omega 3 fatty acid. Omega-3 fats also lower blood pressure and heart rate, improve blood vessel function, and, at higher doses, lower triglycerides, and contribute to reduce inflammation.
If you happen to live by the beach you lucky to enjoy delicious fresh seafood anytime right at your fingertips – lucky you! And if you do not live by the beach you are still lucky because this recipe is made with lump crab meat from a container (or can), which is still tasty and provides the convenience of not having to disassemble shelled fish. You just got 1 hour of extra time!
How to make baked crab cakes
STEP 1: Preheat the oven😊.
STEP 2: In a small bowl whisk together the egg, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Set aside.
STEP 3: In a medium size bowl combine the lump crab meat, onion, red peppers, bread crumbs, parsley, mustard powder, black pepper, salt, Old Bay Seasoning, baking powder, chives and cayenne pepper. Break up the chunks of lump crab meat first or as you mix. Blend until all the ingredients are combined then add the egg and mayonnaise mixture. Combine well.
STEP 4: With a spatula section the crab cake mixture into four sections. With your hands, form each section into a patty and place on the prepared baking sheet.
STEP 5: Bake for 15 minutes then flip the crab cakes. Then bake the other side for 10-15 more minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for 3-5 minutes or until the tops are slightly browned. Garnish with extra chives and serve with Spicy Greek Yogurt Aioli Sauce.
How to make the sauce
The base of aioli sauce is normally made with mayonnaise, lemon juice, spices, garlic salt and minced garlic. But for added protein and probiotic compounds, we use nonfat Greek yogurt instead of the mayonnaise. Here’s what goes into a good sauce to use for baked crab cakes:
- Creamy base such as mayonnaise or Greek yogurt.
- Acid such as lemon or vinegar.
- Sweets and Spice such as honey and cayenne pepper.
Sauce Step: Whisk together Greek yogurt, lemon juice, spices & seasonings, salt, pepper, honey and vinegar. Add the melted butter and mix together until blended. The butter adds a delicious creaminess to compliment the tart Greek yogurt flavor. Once it is fully blended, let the sauce chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more to allow the flavors to settle.
This crab cake sauce is wildly delicious and takes as little as 5 minutes to prepare. It is the kind of sauce that gets your tastes buds bouncing all around, finishing off with the flavor of crispy crab cakes.
What sides to serve with crab cakes
- This savory southwest sauce is is fantastic on any fish!
- Greek yogurt aioli (recipe in recipe card with crab cakes)
- Delicate Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
- Add it as an addition to this Kale Detox Salad
- Serve it with Gluten-free Cornbread Muffins
Making crab cakes at home is a total different story than ordering out since you can control this ingredients and how they are cooked. Just make them baked not fried for a healthier indulgence!
Frequently Asked Questions and Tips
Are crab cakes typically gluten-free?
Crab cakes are made with breadcrumbs, which are not gluten-free, unless the breadcrumbs and all ingredients are labeled gluten-free and in a gluten-free facility. If buying premade cakes, make sure the package says gluten-free. When making these gluten-free crab cakes at home, make sure the breadcrumb package is labeled “gluten-free”.
How do you make baked crab cakes crispy and flavorful?
Broiling these gluten free crab cakes (after they are cooked) crisps the outside but keeps the inside perfectly tender and delicious without extra oil used in frying. Manytimes, the oil in frying can overpower the flavor but baked or broiled crab cakes has a wonderful crab meat and herb flavors!
What temperature is a broil?
Broil varies on different ovens. Some are 500 to 550 degrees Fahrenheit, and others are 400 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. For broiling crab cakes, set the oven to broil and check it at 1-5 minutes, until lightly browned. If you do not have a broil setting, turn the oven up to cook at 500 for 1-5 minutes, until crispy.
More recipes you may enjoy
If you make these baked crab cakes from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations and share it! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!