Spicy sweet potato pasta in a creamy red chili and broccoli peanut sauce and tossed with rotisserie chicken that comes together quickly at moments notice. Peanut, ginger, soy, and garlic are what make this spicy sweet potato pasta recipe spectacular! It’s bursting with delicious Asian flavors you’d expect from a Chinese restaurant without the excess fat or expense.
Spiralized sweet potatoes are wonderful to use in place of spaghetti noodles and are fabulous tossed with peanut sauce, chili pepper, broccoli and chicken. Sweet potatoes are one of the most nutritional tropical vegetables and recent studies show that in humans they help control glycemic levels and assist with type 2 diabetes [source].
Plus my favorite part is they are packed with fiber to help keep your body full longer, have excellent anticancer, antiviral, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory potential [source].
So bring on the sweet potato pasta!
How to make sweet potato pasta with peanut sauce
1. First spiralize the sweet potatoes or use store-bought ones that are already turned into noodles. Conveniently most grocery stores now carry sweet potatoes that are already spiralized for you. If you can not find that you can use a sweet potato spiralizer and prepare about 1.25 pounds of zoodles (spiralized potatoes) for this recipe.
2. Chop and prepare all of the vegetables. I like to chop broccoli very fine so it blends well into the sauce and adds more nutritional value to this dish.
3. Next, in a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli, scallions, garlic, peppers, onion, and ginger. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until tender-crisp.
Then make the peanut sauce. This sauce is seriously epic friends! It is full of massive flavors- spicy, peanut butter, richness, Thai, and tang all into one thin paste that coats the noodles and chicken.
4. In the same skillet, stir in the peanut butter, water, aminos, vinegar, oyster sauce, lime juice, and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute to meld the flavors. Add the sweet potato noodles and chicken and toss to coat well. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes to soften the noodles. Make sure to not cook more than 5 minutes or the noodles have an altered texture. Serve among 4 plates and season with more chili powder to taste for extra spice.
Can this sweet potato pasta recipe be reheated?
Yes. You can even make it ahead of time for meal prep and to take to lunch for work. It is a delicious healthy way to plan ahead. To reheat it over low heat until warm. Do not overheat it as it can make the noodles mushy if over-cooked. If you also want to make this meal in advance you can make the sauce and right before serving heat the sauce and noodles on low heat for 5 minutes or just until warm.
What if I have a peanut allergy, can I substitute peanut butter for something else?
For a peanut allergy, you can substitute in equal amount it for almond butter or cashew butter.
More delicious gluten-free recipe to print and make!
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies Made with Peanut Butter Powder
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Thai Peanut Sauce Ground Turkey and Cabbage Bowls
- Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Cabbage Buddha Bowl