This mouthwatering seafood dish tastes like it is freshly made straight from a beachside restaurant and ready in less than 20 minutes! It’s a zesty shrimp ceviche recipe simple enough for any cook and is bursting with citrus flavors!
This is a fantastic summer seafood salad that is so refreshing it makes you feel clean and lean from the inside out!
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- easy for every home cook – whether you are a beginner cook or well advance, anyone can make this easy shrimp ceviche recipe and I show you step-by-step instructions how.
- high protein, low fat, and great source of vegetables and healthy fat – this shrimp ceviche is made of gluten-free, keto and paleo-friendly ingredients.
- great for parties and gatherings – we love to celebrate family get togethers with ceviche as an appetizer, or serve this for dinner anytime we want a healthy quick meal!
- kid-friendly! – this shrimp ceviche is fun for the whole family and you can get the kids involved by chopping up ingredients
WHAT GOES INTO THIS RECIPE
- shrimp – use frozen that is devained with tails and shells removed for convenience and let it thaw before use. I didn’t for this round and it was time consuming to remove the shells and veins.
- Vegetables: cucumber, tomatoes, onion (red or white), avocado, cilantro, garlic
- Seasoning and zesty citrus flavors: lime juice, orange juice, salt and black pepper
HOW TO COOK SHRIMP FOR CEVICHE
There are two ways to cook seafood for ceviche. You can either boil the prepared shrimp for either 2-3 minutes until it turns pink (do not over boil- remove from the the water as soon as it gets pink). Or place the prepared shrimp in a shallow bowl with ½ cup of lime juice and it set for 20 minutes on the counter. The citrus fruit will naturally turn “cook” the shrimp pink and opaque in color.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
STEP 1. Prepare the shrimp. If using frozen, let it set in warm water to thaw, or thaw in the refrigerator before use. If the shrimp has the shell and tail on, peel those off first.
STEP 2. Once the tails and shells are removed, remove the vein on the bottom. The best way is to use a knife to cut into the meat and pull it out. Rinse the shrimp off then cook it by boiling for 2-3 minutes (as used in this recipe method), or marinate it in lime juice for 20 minutes.
STEP 3. Prepare the vegetables. Start by chopping the cilantro and onion, removing the avocado seed and dicing it, and grating the garlic with a cheese grater into fine pieces.
STEP 4. Peel and dice the cucumber. The key is to keep the vegetables diced small.
STEP 5. Use roma tomatoes and slice them in half and remove the seeds. The center can make shrimp ceviche watery, so removing it keeps this dish light and chunky.
STEP 6. After the center is removed dice them into small pieces.
STEP 7. Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl.
STEP 8. Mix the well to coat with citrus juices and serve right away or chill first.
FAQS and EXPERT TIPS
Should I cook shrimp for ceviche?
Shrimp can be cooked through stir-fry, boiling, grilling, or a lime juice marinade method. Yes, always make sure the shrimp is cooked through.
Is shrimp ceviche safe to eat?
As with any meat, it is best cooked to avoid food born illness. Shrimp ceviche should also be consumed within 2 days to avoid the seafood from spoiling or the ceviche from getting soggy. If pregnant, shrimp ceviche is safe to eat in moderation (shrimp 8-12 ounces 2-3 servings per week).
What goes with shrimp ceviche?
Favorite ways to serve with shrimp ceviche are with chips, guacamole, and salsa, or turn it into tacos, taquitos or over salad greens.
How do you know when shrimp ceviche is done?
Make sure it is pink or opaque in color, which is a sign it is cooked through.
What additions can I add to shrimp ceviche?
You can add 1 red bell pepper, or 1 jalapeno pepper for a little sweetness or heat. Remove seeds first and dice them into fine bits.
BEST Fish Ceviche Recipe
Stir Fry Vegetables
Healthy Jambalaya with Shrimp and Sausage
Coconut Milk Shrimp Skewers
Grilled Shrimp Fajitas
Homemade Salsa Recipe
If you make this shrimp ceviche recipe from DelightfulMomFood I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!