Cozy up this Fall with this vegan and gluten-free apple crisp recipe made with healthier sugars! It is a simple apple dessert prepared in 10 minutes, caters to most food allergies, and always wins the crowd over!
And this gluten free apple crisp is a great way to use up seasonal apples! It is easy and delicious served either warm or cold topped with your favorite (dairy-free) vanilla ice cream!
Apple crisps are one of my favorite desserts to make because they are so simple and you can get a bit a nutrition from oats and apples rather than a dessert loaded with flour. This dessert is filled with cinnamon flavor, crispy sweet apples, warm coconut oil, hearty oats, sugary coconut sugar and maple syrup and crunchy pecans that leave your taste buds yearning for more!
The first 2 questions when it comes to making a gluten-free apple crisp are: 1. What kind of apples should I use? and 2. Did I make sure the oats are gluten-free? Let’s dive in and answer those questions, shall we?
The best apples to use for baking
Granny Smith apples are generally a go-go in apple pies and these gluten free pop tarts.
Honeycrisp apples are like a dessert treat by themselves. They are naturally deliciously sweet and recommended for this crisp recipe.
Braeburn apple, which is another nice and crisp apple like a Granny Smith.
Pink Lady apples are a good choice for baking (and can be used in this gluten-free apple crisp recipe) as they have a sweet and tangy flavor that compliments sugary sweet coconut sugar and coconut oil.
Winesap apples, which can withhold their intense flavor during baking.
Crispin apples work well for baking as they are less tart of an apple like a Golden Delicious.
Are oats gluten-free?
Occasionally I see on social media a controversy over oats and if they are gluten-free or not. Many people think oats are gluten-free but actually they are not unless they clearly say they are on the packaging. Oats are farmed near wheat and potentially can be cross-contaminated. Look for certified gluten-free rolled oats such as Bob’s Red Mill.
How to make a gluten-free apple crisp
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9-inch deep pie dish or square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the apples, 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, and cinnamon until well blended. Pour into the prepared pan.
- In a food processor, pulse the oats, flour mix, coconut sugar, pecans, maple syrup, oil, and salt one or two times to mix gently, but do not process the oats too finely where it forms a flour. Crumble the oat mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake until the topping starts to brown and the fruit bubbles, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve slightly warm or chilled. Top with your favorite dairy-free ice cream.
Ready to get baking?! This is one of our family favorite gluten-free desserts. This gluten-free apple crisp takes minimal exertion to put together and is a satisfying dessert to serve to guests, especially during the holidays! Keep scrolling to print the recipe😊.
More Apple Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Fennel Apple Salad
- Gluten-Free Apple Pop Tarts
- Best Homemade Apple Cider
- Easy Healthy Apple Muffins
- Ultimate Apple Crisp With Chia Seeds
- Roasted Butternut Squash Apple Soup