The best creamy jackfruit mango smoothie recipe made with a vegan meat replacement, protein, mango, banana, and tropical flavors! It’s like sipping a protein-packed healthy milkshake!
Why this jackfruit smoothie recipe works
This jackfruit smoothie is an excellent source of plant-based vegan protein and iron! Jackfruit “meat”, aka “jacktree” is a healthy vegan meat replacement. The fruit itself contains jackfruit pod and jackfruit casing which we will dive into learning how to prepare and cut the fruit. Jackfruit is fantastic to add to juice and smoothies as it is also high in iron, making this jackfruit smoothie great for anyone who is anemic and suffers low iron. This mango drink also contains vitamin C, which helps the body to better absorb iron.
Rich and creamy like a milkshake! This jackfruit mango smoothie is silky and thick like a shake, only it is dairy-free! That is thanks to jackfruit and the addition of protein powder, making it a super healthy treat!
What ingredients go into this smoothie
- Ripe fresh jackfruit, which is sweeter than canned and perfect for smoothies! You can use canned jackfruit, but it will not produce a super sweet smoothie. If you do need to use canned jackfruit, add a bit of honey or maple syrup (about 1 tablespoon).
- Plant-based milk such as almond milk, coconut milk, or cashew milk.
- Plain or vanilla protein powder (pea protein is also great for vegan)
- Coconut flakes
- Vanilla extract for extra flavor to compliment the coconut flakes
- Frozen mango chunks, a few pineapple chunks, and half a frozen banana
How to make this jackfruit mango smoothie
In a high speed blender add the jackfruit, mango, pineapple, banana, protein, coconut flakes, vanilla and 4-6 ounces of milk. Blend until smooth and creamy like a milkshake! If you want, you can add more liquid so it has more of a whole fruit juice consistency. Enjoy the jackfruit smoothie right away. This smoothie recipe serves 1 to 2, and can easily be doubled to share!
What kind of jackfruit is best: canned versus fresh
Canned jackfruit is better for savory dishes, and fresh jackfruit pod are best for making a jackfruit smoothie since it is sweeter with natural tropical flavors.
How to cut a jackfruit
This is a little tedious, but you can freeze and bag up any extra jackfruit to use for more smoothie recipes.
- Tools needed are a cutting board, sharp knife, and two containers- one for the jackfruit seeds and one for the jackfruit pods.
- Carefully slice the jackfruit in half and half again so you have 4 equal parts. Start feeling around and separating the lighter yellow parts of jackfruit to get the firm golden pods (picture removing the seeds of a cooked squash). Wet your hands as you do this if needed to make it easier.
- Remove the jackfruit pod, and pull it open and remove the seed with its “casing”. Remove the seed from its casing and place the seed in one of the containers and discard the casing.
- Take out the jackfruit pod and put it in the other container. Repeat this until all the golden jackfruit pods and seeds have been prepared then discard the skin and fibrous parts. Store the seeds and pods in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Frequently asked questions
What does jackfruit taste like?
Jackfruit that is ripe tastes like a tropical combination of banana, mango, pineapple, and coconut flavors making it great to add to smoothies and sweet foods. Young jackfruit that is commonly found in cans has a mild taste and is wonderful to use in savory foods such as jackfruit pulled pork and shredded bbq recipes.
How to know if a jackfruit is ripe?
To tell if a jackfruit is ripe, observe and feel the outer layer. It should have a yellowish skin tone and be slightly soft if you poke it (but not too hard!). The bumps on the outside will not be spikey, but have a softer smoother feel.
Can I add supplements to this smoothie?
Add any favorite additions to this jackfruit smoothie such as hemp seeds, flax meal, or a dash of honey or maple syrup to sweeten more.
If you make this jackfruit mango smoothie from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations and share it! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!