A silky sweet potato smoothie that does not disappoint with a creamy rich milkshake consistency and a sweet potato pie taste! Made with no banana and uses dairy-free ingredients.
It’s a sweet potato shake that needs to come with a warning to slow down when you drink it- it’s just that good! This sweet potato smoothie is made wholesome with natural ingredients and is such a fantastic way to consume sweet potatoes.
Why this sweet potato smoothie works
+ Sweet and thick milkshake consistency without dairy and banana – Sweet potatoes naturally “sweeten” and thicken smoothies without having to use banana or dairy.
+Loaded with nutrients and fiber – Sweet potato nutrition information is unreal as they are jam packed with vitamin A, vitamin B5, B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, and, due to their orange color, are high in carotenoids [source]. They are good for heart health, controlling blood sugar (release sugar slowly in the bloodstream), controlling stress, supporting a healthy immune system and is an anti-inflammatory. Convinced yet to start eating them? And they don’t have to be drenched in brown sugar and butter to taste good! Just turn them into this sweet potato smoothie recipe!
What ingredients go into this recipe
- Sweet potato – cook them in advance and store them chilled in the fridge for up to 4 days so it is easy use in smoothies (purple sweet potatoes have not been tested in this recipe).
- Plant-based milk – can use coconut milk, cashew milk, or almond milk that is unsweetened.
- Protein powder – use your favorite either plain or vanilla. This also helps to make it thick.
- Maple syrup – just a tad to sweeten this sweet potato smoothie. If you are reducing sugar intake, add a packet or a few liquid drops of of Stevia.
- Vanilla – brings out vanilla notes and it is ok if the milk and protein already have it as well.
- Cinnamon – cinnamon always compliments sweet potatoes and makes this smoothie taste like a sweet potato pie!
- Ice – this is because none of the ingredients are frozen and this gives the sweet potato smoothie and chilled thick taste.
How to make this smoothie
In a high powered blender add the sweet potato (with skin removed), milk, protein powder, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and ice. Blend until smooth and add more ice if needed. I do not suggest adding too much more liquid as it will make the consistency more like juice.
How to cook a sweet potato
Wash the sweet potato and poke a hole in it with a fork of knife to release steam when it cooks and so it does not explode:-). Cook the sweet potato in the microwave on a potato setting until it is soft to touch in the center. Or cook the potato in the oven at 400 degrees F, wrapped in aluminum foil and bake for about 45-60 minutes until tender.
You can add extra flavor and nutrients to your sweet potato smoothie before blending. Try adding 1 tablespoon of any of these smoothie additions: almond butter, hemp seeds, chia seeds, coconut flakes, flax meal, and or collagen.
Faqs and expert tips
Can sweet potato be mixed with milk?
Sweet potatoes are delicious mixed with milk to give it a naturally sweet and creamy taste. Add them mashed in oatmeal with milk, turned to sweet potato mash with milk mixed in, and into a sweet potato smoothie.
What flavors go good with sweet potatoes?
Maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, cream, are flavors that combine well with sweet potatoes.
How do you make a sweet smoothie?
Adding sweet potatoes to smoothies is a natural way to sweeten the drink without the use of added sugars. You can also add more fruit like banana or Stevia, honey, maple syrup, and agave to make smoothies sweeter.
If you make this sweet potato smoothie from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations and share it! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!