A hearty and healthy chicken chipotle chili that’s perfect for fall and winter entertaining. It is low fat, comforting, bursting with chipotle flavors, vegetables, chicken, and simple to prepare.
Why this chipotle chicken chili works
- It is healthy, flavorful, and low fat! This chipotle chicken chili recipe is bursting with chipotle flavoring, is low in fat, and made with healthy grain-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, gluten-free ingredients.
- Chicken chili is super versatile! Use this basic recipe and substitute shredded or diced chicken breast for cooked ground turkey meat, ground beef or flat-iron steak.
- Chicken chipotle chili is so simple and easy! This recipe is made in one pot, leaving little dishes and clean up!
What ingredients go into this recipe
- Vegetables – To make the best chicken chipotle chili recipe you need onion, green peppers, garlic and oil (for sautéing).
- The heartiness of chicken chipotle chili – black beans or kidney beans, fire roasted diced tomatoes, and cooked chicken diced or shredded chicken breast.
- Flavors – chili powder, dried basil, black pepper.
How to make this chicken chili recipe
STEP 1: In a large pot heat oil on medium-high and add the onion, peppers and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
STEP 2: Add the beans, diced tomatoes, cooked chicken, broth, ketchup, chili powder, basil, black pepper and bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Chili with chicken is so good, especially topped with guacamole or avocado slices, shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips (all optional). Stir the toppings into the chicken chipotle chili for extra flavor and enjoy!
What to do with leftover chipotle chili
Any leftover chicken chipotle chili goes great into burritos or turned into nachos! Heat the leftover chili and add wrap it with cheese in a tortilla. For nachos, pour it over tortilla chips and add cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes and top with fresh tomatoes, green onions, sour cream and guacamole.
Can I use substitute green bell pepper for another pepper?
Yes, you can use an Anaheim pepper which is a Mexican green chili pepper.
Can this chicken chipotle chili be made in the slow cooker or instant pot?
To make this chicken chili recipe in the slow cooker or instant pot, sauté the vegetables first and then add everything in the pot. Cook on low for 2-4 hours in the slow cooker and according to an instant pot chili settings. The vegetables can be sautéed directly in the instant pot.
If you make this chicken chipotle chili recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations and share it! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!