No-bake vegan homemade granola bars! A chewy healthy granola bars recipe that takes only a few minutes to make and tastes like an oatmeal cookie! The perfect snack or breakfast for on-the-go moments.
Around our home we always love a homemade bowl of warm granola, oatmeal and homemade granola bars for breakfast. Occasionally, my son prefers to eat plain oats straight from the glass jar they are stored in. It doesn’t matter to him if they are quick cook oats or steel cut oats. Oats are oats and they just taste good… even dry and plain. I beg to differ.
I prefer them bathed in a bit of honey or sweetened with fresh fruit. Are you an oat fan?
Often I find people that don’t like oatmeal -mostly from an older generation than myself. A generation when you had to butter them up to make them taste good. Steel cut oats are another category. I don’t use them for cooking and once in a while use them for oatmeal recipes. That version of the cereal grain is too… well, grainy for these oatmeal bars, in my opinion:-).
Why this granola bar recipe works
- These healthy no-bake granola bars are good for the heart, body, and digestive system – Oats are the main ingredient in this delicious chewy homemade granola bars recipe making it packed with fiber and good for the heart.
- These healthy bars are super quick and easy to make -They are similar to my healthy no bake breakfast bars, only those taste like a chocolate chip cookie and these taste like an oatmeal cookie.
- Full of flavorful fall spices – Aromas and the taste of cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg and vanilla are simply delicious together and include ingredients that reduce inflammation.
- Low sugar and no preservatives – making homemade granola bars allows you to control the ingredients without preservatives. No need for extra sugar and salt.
- Saves money – it costs less to make homemade granola bars rather than store-bought.
- Oats – Oats are so nutritional, they help lower cholesterol and are high in iron. You could even crush or blend oats to make oat flour. Feel free to do that in this recipe by using equal amounts (1 cup of oat flour in place of 1 cup of gluten free flour). You can pretty much play with most of the ingredients to fit dietary needs.
- Maple syrup is used to sweeten these chewy granola bars but you can also use honey. The bulk of the bars is from gluten-free quick cook oats and gluten-free flour.
- Chia seeds are added for omega brain-boosting healthy nutrients and spices and flavors of cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and vanilla extract.
- White chocolate chips or vegan chocolate melted and drizzled on top and it is optional to add raisins inside the dough.
How to make homemade granola bars
In a bowl add the gluten-free oats (make sure they are certified gluten-free), gluten-free flour, nut butter, chia seeds, maple syrup, water, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract and (optional to add raisins) into a bowl. Mix well to form a dough. Then roll it in-between two pieces of parchment paper or was paper. Melt the chocolate and drizzle on top. Chill and then slice into 16-8 slices.
These healthy chewy homemade granola bars are easy to carry for packed lunches, hiking, or other outdoor activities. We love them for breakfast, and snacks at the park or I give to the boys as their starch and protein for lunch with a side of fruit and vegetables!
Related recipes and granola bars
If you make this easy healthy chewy homemade granola bars recipe Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations and share it! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!