Easy ground turkey casserole that is made with spaghetti squash, sautéed onion and is oozing with melted cheese! This healthy turkey casserole is creamy, chunky, delicious, packed full of protein, and a cherished ONE meal for the entire family (with a dairy-free option)! That makes for one happy mamma!
Ground Turkey Casserole
This ground turkey casserole recipe is so simple to make with the option for dairy-free. It is gluten-free and paleo and a favorite healthy family dinner! Not to mention dinner is on the table in less than an hour (if you prep the squash in advance).
TWO of the hardest pain points as a parent are getting kids to eat vegetables AND making a meal that everyone enjoys. We are always switching up what we eat each night and sometimes I do make separate meals- usually only if we have leftovers to use up. My boys for sure “eat with the seasons”, so to say. I feel like in the winter months all they want are carbs. That is where zoodles and squash come in.
A few of my family’s favorite gluten-free family dinner recipes on my blog are ground turkey stuffed peppers, healthy turkey sweet potato chili, healthy paleo Italian turkey burgers, baked spaghetti squash pizza casserole and barbecue chicken baked spaghetti squash.
Spaghetti squash is great to use in place of noodles and fantastic to ensure extra nutrients are being consumed. If you mix it with melted creamy cheese and sautéed ground turkey, it is a simple meal for the whole family! Plus, the leftovers are just as terrific!
GROUND TURKEY SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE: INGREDIENTS
This ground turkey casserole is kind of like a VERY healthy version of a hamburger helper😊. This version has 5 simple ingredients:
- Spaghetti Squash – is packed full of fiber and a great alternative to noodles.
- Ground Turkey – I like to use 99% lean for lower fat.
- Garlic and Yellow Onion – chopped and sautéed in butter- yum! I use dairy-free butter or organic ghee.
- Butter, Ghee, or Dairy-Free Butter – for sauteeing and it gives great flavor!
- Cheese – Use shredded cheddar, mozzarella or dairy-free cheese. For these pictures I used dairy-free cheese. We have used many forms (we make this often!) and my favorite dairy-free cheese is Trader Joe’s shredded almond cheese. It is very mild and 5 year loves that one as well (for anyone with a dairy-free family).
- Milk – Preferably organic, or use dairy-free milk such as almond milk or cashew milk.
- Seasoning – salt, pepper, paprika – that’s it!
- Garnishes – thyme and parsley make for delicious garnishes and add a pop of color on top.
CAN THE SPAGHETTI SQUASH BE COOKED IN ADVANCE TO SAVE TIME?
Spaghetti squash can easily be cooked in advance which you learn how to roast, microwave and cook a spaghetti squash here. It is just as satisfying and makes this recipe even more a breeze!
HOW TO MAKE THIS GROUND TURKEY CASSEROLE
1. Cook the spaghetti squash. Let it cool enough to handle. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Here are 4 ways on how to cook spaghetti squash.
2. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Using a spoon, scrape out the “noodles” into a casserole dish. Set aside until ready to use.
3. Cook the ground turkey meat. In a large saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and ground turkey meat. Chop it up with a wooden spatula into fine pieces. Cook until heated through, about 10 minutes, and while cooking continue to chop it and mix it.
4. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the pan with meat and add the garlic, paprika, salt, pepper and onion. Cook until soft (5 minutes).
5. Top spaghetti squash noodles that are in the casserole dish with 1 cup cheese.
6. Top with cooked onion and ground turkey mix.
7. Pour milk on top evenly then mix together gently to coat.
8. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
9. Put the casserole in the oven and bake for for 40 minutes or or until bubbly and the top is browned slightly.
10. Garnish with fresh thyme and parsley. Serve right away.
CAN I USE SUBSTITUTE GROUND TURKEY FOR ANOTHER MEAT?
Yes! You can use ground turkey, or rotisserie chicken, shredded chicken or even ground beef for this simple casserole recipe. If using any of them, I always suggest to use organic, which contains no hormones, antibiotics and contains more nutrients. Check out my review on Butcherbox, which is where we buy most of our meat from.
This is by-far one of our FAVORITE healthy family recipes that everyone enjoys! This ground turkey casserole is creamy, chunky, delicious, and packed full of protein and vegetables!
More delicious healthy recipes:
- Tuna Stuffed Yellow Summer Squash
- Thai Peanut Ground Turkey and Cabbage Bowls
- Turkey Meatloaf Recipe Packed with Veggies
- Roasted Butternut Squash Apple Soup
- Spaghetti Squash Pasta With Butternut Squash Sauce
- Healthy Oven-Baked Turkey Meatballs