A moist and delicious gluten free chocolate chip quick bread with hints of cinnamon and rich chocolaty flavor. It’s made with natural sugars and great for food allergies as it is also dairy-free and nut-free.
Why this recipe works
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free – this is great for allergies. Use allergy-free chocolate chip morsels or if an allergy is not your concern you can use regular milk chocolate chips. I first made this recipe for a friend who just had a baby and couldn’t have dairy. It was a huge hit in her whole household!
- Comes together quickly – This recipe comes together quickly, in as little as 10 minutes with the only time-consuming part being baking the loaf for 50 minutes until set and golden brown in color.
- Versatile – this gluten free chocolate chip bread loaf has multiple ways to serve it. Serve it for brunch, as a snack with tea or coffee, and even for dessert. It has a cake-like consistency so you can even serve it as a celebration cake!
What ingredients go into this recipe
- Dry ingredients – gluten-free flour mix, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. For a pre-made flour mix I suggest using Bob’s 1-for-1 Baking Flour mix which does not contain dairy and has a wonderful consistency. For the sugar, I used Monk Fruit which is sugar-free but you can also use Xylitol or coconut sugar which are better for you than white processed sugar.
- Wet ingredients – organic eggs, plant-based milk, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil. You can use almond milk, cashew milk, or coconut milk (not canned) that is plain with no added sweeteners. If dairy is not a concern, non-fat cow milk is fine to use.
- Chocolate chips – which add delectable chocolate flavor. I use dairy-free allergy-free, but again, if dairy is not a concern for you can use milk chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips. I don’t suggest using dark chocolate unless you like the flavor as it can add a bitter taste.
How to make a healthy chocolate chip quick bread recipe
STEP 1. In a large bowl add the dry ingredients.
STEP 2. Blend them well with a spatula so there are no visible chunks and everything is evenly distributed.
STEP 3. In a small bowl whisk together the wet ingredients until it forms a yellow color and the eggs are evenly mixed.
STEP 4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
STEP 5. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together with a spatula until there are no chunks in the batter. If you come across some, use the spatula to break them up.
STEP 6. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
STEP 7. This step can be done before step 1, or before adding the gluten free chocolate chip bread batter to the loaf pan. Spray the pan with cooking spray then line it with parchment paper. This allows the bread to come out easily after it comes out of the oven. You can also just spray the pan then pour the batter directly into the bread loaf pan.
STEP 8. Add the batter to the pan so it is even on top. Optional to sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top.
Frequently Asked Questions and Expert Tips
Are choc chips gluten free?
Yes, almost all chocolate chips are gluten-free. But it is a good idea to double check the ingredients to make sure some companies do not add fillers.
Do you need baking powder with gluten-free flour?
Not all gluten-free flours contain baking powder. You do need to add baking powder to this gluten free chocolate chip bread recipe in order for it to rise properly, even if the flour does already contain baking powder.
How do you keep quick bread moist?
Not overcooking and storing this gluten free chocolate chip quick bread properly is important to keeping it moist. Make sure the bread does not overcook. Bake it in the oven for 50 minutes then check it with a toothpick in the center for done-ness. It should be fluffy, lightly golden brown on top and not squishy on top. Store the bread in a sealed airtight container in the refrigerator for maximum moisture. To serve, reheat in the microwave until slightly warmed- about 10 seconds. You can also add a wet paper towel on top of the bread before reheating in the microwave or oven which adds moisture and prevents the heat from drying it out.
Does baking powder have gluten in it?
Baking powder does not have gluten in it. It is made of corn starch or arrowroot starch, baking soda and cream of tartar. Here is a great homemade baking powder recipe.
Related gluten-free baked goods
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten Free Strawberry Cake
- Gluten Free Chocolate Banana Bread
- Orange Cranberry Nut Bread
- Butternut Squash Flax Quick Bread
- Gluten Free White Bread
- Vegan Eggless Banana Bread
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
- Gluten Free Banana Bread
- Pineapple Guava Bread Loaf
If you make this healthy gluten-free chocolate chip bread from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below.