Hearty detox cabbage soup diet recipe is less than 100 calories per serving and made with metabolism boosting ingredients! This comforting soup is also known as the popular Dolly Parton Diet or TWA Stewardess Diet. Whatever you want to call it, it is light, great for weight loss and a flat belly, detoxing and packed with nourishing vegetables and spicy miso flavoring!
Why this cabbage soup recipe works
Cabbage is actually one of healthiest foods to eat (organic)! It takes more calories to digest than the leaves have themselves, which is a great benefit to kick start any weight loss diet. Our ultimate favorite way to eat cabbage is in this savory cabbage soup diet recipe!
Check out the Soup Video Tutorial
An easy digestible way to enjoy all the benefits of cabbage – Growing up my mom was always a fan of sauerkraut. But I remember hating the smell and it was not until I was older that I began to favor vinegary cabbage. She would always try to make us eat it. I remember coming home and the house was overpowered by the pungent odor and we would walk right back out that door! When you have kids it is like Karma hits you then. My kids do the same things to me that I did to my mom… boy is payback a funny thing because now as an adult I can’t get enough sauerkraut and cabbage. My kids don’t like sauerkraut but they sure do gobble up a whole bowl of this detox cabbage soup recipe!
You can cook the cabbage soup in a slow cooker or on the stove top. – Slow cooker soup is so easy. Literally all you have to do is chop and toss all those fresh veggies in the bowl! Big bonus is there are hardly any dishes to scrub after this meal! TOTAL win, win! But if you want this healthy cabbage soup recipe ready at moments notice, you can also cook it on the stove in 30-40 minutes.
Supports weight loss and a body cleanse
Most fad diets are easy to get burned out on. Adding this soup to your weekly regimen can help speed up the metabolism thanks to high amounts of cabbage and celery. It takes more calories to digest both vegetables than the plants actually have in it. The ingredients in cabbage soup are all natural, healing, filling, and detoxing! When the body is detoxed from free radicals and unwanted toxins it is able to lose weight more easily, have more energy, feel lighter, happier and experience more of life! I only say this from experience with the foods we eat:-).
If you want to keep this soup really clean, leave out the miso broth and use vegetable or chicken broth. But honestly, the spicy miso broth is what gives this soup its abundance of extra flavor! For vegan diets you can find vegan miso to use as an alternative. For gluten-free and Celiac, miso usually contains gluten so make sure the paste is also gluten-free. (side note, this post has been updated to accommodate).
- Green Cabbage – packed with fiber and is a great source of choline, phosphorus, vitamin B2, magnesium, calcium, selenium, iron, pantothenic acid, protein and niacin.
- Celery – Burns more calories than it takes to eat. Packed with fiber!
- Onion – Packed with vitamin C to help improve immunity.
- Carrots – Packed with vitamin A it is great for eyesight.
- Seasoning – Herbs are essential and packed with vitamins and minerals such as iron.
- Chicken Broth, Vegetable Broth, or Beef Broth– Carries electrolytes and sodium to hydrate the body when dehydrated or sick. Plus fills you up.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Helps reduce heartburn, acid reflux, can aid in weight loss, assists in healthy blood sugar and carries antioxidant properties.
- Lemon – Balances PH levels in the body. Aids in hydration.
- Miso Paste Use 1-3 Tablespoons of white miso paste (fermented soy bean paste) as it is made without the fish flavor or gluten.
- Diced Tomatoes – High in vitamin C and when cooked contain higher levels of cancer preventing antioxidants.
This soup consists of 10 wildly healthy plant based vegetables and herbs! Some versions also contain green beans and bell peppers, so feel free to add them in as well if you like them in soup. This cabbage soup recipe can be added to your “Cabbage Soup Diet Plan”. But really it is the wholefoods what we should always be eating on a daily basis.
Diets are fads. Eating foods like this healing soup are a way to live freely. Just think of the cabbage soup diet as a way of life for more energy and weight loss. The weight loss comes from eating fiber packed fruits and vegetables that fill you up longer. Fruits and vegetables that provide sustainable energy that allow you to do the passions and things you love in life! That is a big win right there!
How to make weight loss cabbage soup
There are two ways to make this cabbage soup diet recipe.
- In the slow cooker or crockpot – To make in the slow cooker, add all of the ingredients and let it cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- On the stovetop – To make this soup on the stove, add all the ingredients to a large pot on medium high heat. Cover and when it starts to bubble on the sides turn down the heat to medium low and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
After you’ve cooked the soup, leftovers are even more delicious and perfect for lunch the next day!
Frequently asked questions and tips
How does cabbage soup diet help you lose weight?
Cabbage soup diet recipe helps you lose weight because it cuts the amount of calories consumed, but still fills you up with fiber, nutrients and liquid.
How much weight can you lose on the cabbage soup diet?
If consumed in large quantities with a low carbohydrate diet, you can lose up to 10 pounds in a week. Choose foods like protein, fruit and vegetables, and skim milk. Fruit juice and sugary drinks should be avoided or choose unsweetened fruit juices in moderation or used in drinks like this cranberry juice detox water.
How many times a day do you eat the cabbage soup diet?
Eat up to 2-3 times per day with other allowed foods. It is always important to consult with a doctor first to make sure you are getting proper caloric intake before starting any diet recipe.
Can you drink coffee on cabbage soup diet?
Coffee and tea are allowed. Avoid alcoholic beverages and you can also enjoy fruits, except banana.
How long can you stay on cabbage soup diet?
Do the diet for only 1 week or seven days. After that start to add a normal diet and you can start again after two weeks.
Can you eat salad on cabbage soup diet?
You can eat salad during the diet only with low fat dressing or after the cleanse enjoy this detox salad and detox citrus salad.
Is cabbage keto?
Cabbage has 2 grams of net carbs per cup shredded, so you can eat a lot of this soup and cabbage alone without falling out of ketosis.
Can I eat eggs on a cabbage soup diet?
Eggs are an excellent animal protein source to eat while on a cabbage soup diet. It is rich in essential vitamins, minerals, and protein. Eat lots of meat and vegetables including fish, eggs, tofu, quinoa which can help fill you up longer. And for a heartier meal, you can also add in brown rice to the diet.
Cabbage soup calories
This recipe makes plenty of soup and serves 4. Each serving is 81 calories. That is less than 100 calories per serving!
- Detox Salad (Chopped Kale Salad) – this is fantastic for anyone! If doing a cabbage soup diet, skip the dressing and just add lemon juice to taste.
- Purple Cabbage Soup – beautiful and colorful dish to add even more cabbage to your diet.
- Detox Water Recipes for Weight Loss and Body Cleanse – 4 fantastic ways to enjoy water more. Water flushes out toxins and with the right formula, jumpstart the liver and activate the metabolism.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Drink – Apple cider vinegar heals the gut and can cleanse the body for detox. Drink 3 times per day.
- Green Machine Detox Drink – A beautiful green drink to jumpstart your day with vibrant energy.
- Detox Beet Juice – This colorful red drink is perfect for nourishing the blood.
Cabbage soup diet recipes are very appealing to anyone trying to detox and lose weight. And now that the holidays are soon to appear, this cabbage soup is great to embrace the cooler weather, lose weight and/or start the new year!
If you make this cabbage soup diet recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!