Comfort food just got a tasty upgrade! This gluten-free skillet goat cheese mac and cheese is cheesy, creamy, and oh so delicious!
You may have heard of mac and cheese, but have you tried skillet mac and cheese? This delicious, creamy dish is cooked in one dish – a frying pan or skillet for extra flavor and efficiency. It’s an easy one-pot meal that the whole family will love and has had raving reviews!
Be sure to also try our other healthy mac and cheese recipe on this site.
- Why you’ll love this goat cheese mac and cheese recipe
- Recipe ingredients
- How to cook macaroni cheese in a frying pan or skillet
- Reheating pasta
- Notes about goat cheese
- Related Recipes
- Skillet Mac and Cheese Recipe
Why you’ll love this goat cheese mac and cheese recipe
- This skillet goat cheese mac and cheese is a delicious and unique twist on the classic dish. Made with creamy goat cheese, tender gluten-free macaroni or fusilli noodles, onion, garlic, non dairy milk, and a delicious blend of spices, this dish is sure to satisfy all your cheesy cravings. It’s an easy and healthy one-pan pasta meal that is perfect for busy weeknights or special occasions.
- The combination of goat cheese and spices gives it a unique and flavorful depth, while the creamy texture of the cheese ensures everyone will love it. Plus, with just a few simple ingredients, you can have this delicious meal on the table in about 20 minutes!
The recipe starts with cooked macaroni, combined with a mixture of shredded cheese, goat cheese, onion and spices. Everything is then combined and cooked in a skillet for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and creamy.
Here is everything you need to make goat cheese mac n cheese in the skillet.
- 5 cups dry Fusilli brown rice pasta or gluten-free macaroni noodles
- olive oil
- coconut milk (not canned)
- vegetable broth
- goat cheese and freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh onion and garlic
- Italian seasoning mix, salt and freshly ground black pepper
- corn starch or arrowroot flour
- parsley for garnish
See recipe card for ingredient amounts.
The dish is then served with a side of fresh vegetables or you can add cooked shrimp, chicken, and broccoli for a complete meal.
How to cook macaroni cheese in a frying pan or skillet
You can actually cook the pasta noodles in a large skillet with water and boil it, or cook in a saucepan and make the sauce while the noodles cook. Here’s how to do it.
- Prepare the macaroni noodles or brown rice pasta according to package directions. I like to use Brown Rice Fusilli pasta noodles since they absorb lots of the creamy goat cheese white sauce. When the noodles are finished cooking, drain them then toss with olive oil and set aside. You can cook them in a large skillet in boiling water, remove then make the sauce and combine it all together, or cook it in a saucepan.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, onion and garlic and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add broth, Italian seasoning mix, salt, pepper, goat cheese, Parmesan cheese and corn starch. Mix for about 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Add the coconut milk and mix 1 minute then add the cooked pasta and mix until coated. Serve right away.
Add leftover skillet mac and cheese in a skillet or frying pan to reheat with a little water or coconut milk. Heat on low heat until it is warmed through, stirring throughout the heating process.
I do suggest making this mac n cheese recipe fresh rather than in advance, but do what works for your schedule because it is still creamy and super yummy!
Notes about goat cheese
Why I chose to use goat cheese is due to its tangy flavor, ability to melt into a creamy texture, and its health benefits. Goat cheese has more vitamins and minerals than cow’s cheese. According to this article on goat cheese, “Goat’s milk is richer in essential nutrients vitamin A, vitamin B, riboflavin, calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium.”
It is also easier to digest as the proteins in goat milk are different than those in cows milk and it has less lactose.
For example, my husband has digestive issues (like many people) when he has cows milk. Extra mucus and indigestion accumulate in his throat when he drinks milk or eats ice cream. Does that happen to you too? When he ate this creamy skillet mac and cheese he had no digestive issues whatsoever!
Can you cook macaroni in a pan?
Yes, you can cook macaroni noodles in a pan such as a skillet or frying pan with water. Just add water to a very large skillet, cover and turn the heat on high to a boil. Add in the noodles with a bit of salt, cover and let it boil until al dente. If the water starts to boil over just remove the cover until the noodles are done.
Why do you put egg in mac and cheese?
Just like carbonara, egg makes mac and cheese scrumptiously creamy! But in this skillet mac and cheese recipe we use goat cheese in place of egg which gives this the best and creamiest texture and flavor.
What does sour cream do to mac and cheese?
Just like milk, egg, cream cheese, and Greek yogurt, adding sour cream to homemade macaroni and cheese makes the recipe rich and creamy. Again, we use goat cheese and coconut milk for a low lactose version without skimping on creaminess!
I hope you enjoy this easy skillet mac and cheese recipe! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below.