Easy-to-make vegan tuna salad that’s so delicious you’ll have to taste it to believe it! This plant-powered chickpea tuna recipe includes rich flavors and textures that even non-vegans will rave about. A game-changer for your next lunch or picnic!
Transform your lunchtime experience with this scrumptious vegan tuna salad recipe! Bursting with wholesome ingredients and delectable flavors, you’ll want to share this dish with everyone you know. Get ready to be the envy of your lunch crew!
Serve this chickpea salad with Cucumber Tomato Salad, Eggless Banana Bread, Vegan Sweet Potato Biscuits and Chickpea Corn Tomato Salad.
- Why this recipe works
- Key ingredients
- How to make vegan tuna
- Recipe Tip
- Recipe FAQs
- Places to use vegan chickpea salad
- Vegan Tuna Salad Recipe
Why this recipe works
- Vegan plant based ingredients – You can achieve a tuna fish flavor without the meat by simply adding zesty lemon and citrus, an acid.
- Dill and paprika – work together to enhance seafood dishes, making this chickpea tuna salad taste fabulous while using vegan ingredients. Don’t have paprika? Try a substitute for paprika powder.
- Comes together in 10 minutes and can be doubled – This vegan tuna salad is great to bring to outdoor potlucks and picnics alongside a tomato cucumber salad and chickpea salad. It can be doubled or tripled for crowd-pleasing feast!
- Can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed. Save the juice for another recipe such as aquafaba, which is a wonderful vegan egg white.
- Add in finely chopped vegetables such red bell peppers, white onion, and celery. The combination in chickpea tuna salad is mouthwatering and provides nutrients such as metabolism boosting fiber (from celery) and vitamin c (from red bell pepper).
- Vegan mayonnaise adds creaminess to this easy vegan tuna salad recipe. If you are not a fan of the flavor- don’t worry, the addition of mustard, dill, and lemon compliments it to taste like vegan tuna salad.
- Almond slivers are where it is at friends! Nuts add crunch and depth to salads. Extra almonds? Try making our almond milk recipe or using the slivers in strawberry crumble bars or caramel chocolate oatmeal bars to enjoy for dessert.
- Yellow mustard, fresh dill, lemon and smoked paprika add bursts of flavor in chickpea tuna salad and regular tuna. If you don’t have fresh dill on-hand I have added the substitute for dry dill in the recipe.
For a slightly sweet taste, try adding 3 tablespoons sweet relish. You can also use lime juice in place of lemon juice.
How to make vegan tuna
Step 1 (image 1): In a medium bowl, add the chickpeas and gently mash a few down with a fork, reserving about 2 tablespoon of whole chickpeas for a contrast in texture. Add the celery, bell pepper, mayonnaise, onion, dill, mustard, lemon juice, salt, white pepper and paprika.
Step 2 (image 2): Mix all the ingredients together until combined and coated. Enjoy chickpea tuna as a sandwich with lettuce, in a tortilla as a wrap, or served over fresh salad greens.
The secret to the best vegan tuna salad is to mash the chickpeas slightly with a fork. Keep a few solid (about 2 tablespoons worth) whole, but mash most of them, which results in a wonderful tuna-salad-like consistency.