Best deviled eggs recipe that is easy and healthy with a creamy gourmet whipped filling and original mustard flavor. Double these deviled eggs because they go fast!
What are deviled eggs
Deviled eggs, also known as stuffed eggs and angel eggs, are hard boiled eggs that are shelled then cut in half and filled with the hard boiled eggs yolk mixed with a delicious creamy mayonnaise filling and dressing ingredients. Deviled eggs are most commonly served at Easter brunch as a side dish or appetizer and also for spring and summer picnics or BBQ’s.
Why this easy deviled eggs recipe is the best
+ Fool-proof and easy – It’s so easy to make, like ridiculously easy. Whether serving for Easter or the perfect summer picnic this is an easy recipe for deviled eggs to take to a potluck.
+ Simple healthy ingredients – This deviled eggs recipe only consists of a few simple and healthy ingredients that bring fresh goodness to the table and can be whipped together at moments notice. If you want to get fancy, add crispy cooked bacon bits on top.
+ Gourmet texture – this recipe for deviled eggs calls for whipping the filling and it has a dash of baking powder added to provide an extra fluffy texture that melts in your mouth.
What ingredients go into this recipe
- Organic eggs – when they are organic the eggs lend more nutrients. To tell if an egg is high in nutrients the color of the egg yolk should be bright orange.
- Olive oil mayonnaise or Greek yogurt – this type of mayonnaise typically contains no hydrogenated corn syrup solids or extra additives and oils that are unhealthy. For added protein and a healthier version you can use 2% plain Greek yogurt.
- Apple cider vinegar – this type of vinegar is gluten-free and contains fermented probiotics that are good for gut health.
- Yellow mustard – provides gorgeous color and a punch of mustard zing.
- Turmeric, garlic powder, salt, and pepper – provides additional flavor and color.
- Baking powder (use this paleo homemade baking powder for a grain-free deviled eggs recipe or omit)- this activates with the vinegar to provide and ultra soft and cloud-like whipped texture.
How to make deviled egg
- Start by making the perfect hard boiled eggs. Boil the water and add eggs in salted water then cover and allow the eggs to cook for 1 minute.
- After the eggs have boiled for 1 minute covered, turn off the heat and let them set in the water for 15 minutes covered (steaming to finish cooking the yolk). Then carefully remove the eggs and let them cool in the refrigerator before peeling.
- Peel the eggs and then slice each in half horizontally. Then remove the yolk and place it in a large bowl and set the whites on a plate.
- With an electric hand mixer, cream together the cooked egg yolk with mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, mustard, garlic powder, baking powder, salt and pepper for about 1 minute until fluffy.
- Using a spoon or piping bag, fill each halved hard boiled yolk with the egg filling. Garnish the filled deviled eggs with paprika and chives.
FAQs and expert tips
How far ahead can you make deviled eggs?
You can make the hard boiled eggs and deviled eggs filling 2 days in advance, but keep them separate. Store them wrapped tight in plastic so there is less air around the eggs. Fill them just before serving.
What can I use instead of mustard in deviled eggs recipes?
You can use Dijon mustard in place of yellow mustard or hummus mixed with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
Can you boil eggs the night before for deviled eggs?
You can make the hard boiled eggs up to 2 days in advance. Boil the eggs and let them cool. Then peel them, slice them in half and remove the yolk and store them separate in the fridge. This makes preparing a deviled egg recipe super simple!
Do you eat deviled eggs hot or cold?
Cooling the eggs first is an important step to the success of making deviled eggs. Warm egg whites tend to tear easier, so make sure the eggs are chilled before handling them.
If you make this healthy and easy deviled eggs recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations and share it! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!