A foolproof crockpot chicken recipe you are gonna love! This recipe employs classic slow cooker techniques resulting in the juiciest most tender chicken breasts!
Welcome to your new favorite meal prep for chicken! It caters to most diets, is low fat, high in protein, whole30, keto and I promise you are just going to love it! It’s perfectly flavorful and great for making homemade chicken salad amongst other dishes!
This recipe is basic on how to make crockpot chicken and can have multiple uses in various meals throughout the week. For one with a marinade, be sure to also try our slow cooker honey lemon chicken!
- Why this is the best slow cooker chicken breasts recipe
- Tools needed
- Recipe Ingredients
- How to cook chicken in the slow cooker
- Tips for cooking chicken slowly
- How to serve this recipe
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More healthy chicken recipes
- More crock pot and slow cooker recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Breast Recipe
Why this is the best slow cooker chicken breasts recipe
- This is one of our favorite ways to enjoy chicken meat. The breasts come out incredibly tender and it’s a foolproof meal that anyone can do! You can enjoy the chicken as is or easily shred it for multiple meals.
- Crockpot chicken makes the juiciest and most tender cuts you’ll ever eat! We add a little bit of water to soak into fibers of meat.
- Most chicken recipes are grilled or smoked, but crockpot chicken takes the hard work out of the formula. This easy chicken breast recipe makes healthy eating pretty simple and the clean up is only one pot!
- Crockpot, slow cooker, or Instant Pot with a slow cooker setting
- Tongs for removing the chicken from the pot.
- Meat thermometer
- 4 large chicken breasts (yay, without bones!). We suggest organic and ourselves use Butcher Box organic chicken (affiliate).
- 1 cup of water or broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
How to cook chicken in the slow cooker
Add chicken to a slow cooker or crockpot. Top with water, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook on low for 6-8 hours and the internal temperature reaches 165 F. Drain the liquid and cut into chunks or shred it!
Tips for cooking chicken slowly
- If using a large crockpot, cooking time will vary as the heat is distributed around the extra space. For smaller slow cookers and the Instant Pot where the chicken is compact together cook on low for 6-8 hours and check after 6 hours. For large crock pots the time may be finished at 4-6 hours since there is more space between the chicken breasts.
- Always check the internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- Low and slow is the key to crockpot chicken. The longer it cooks the juicer and more tender the poultry.
There is plenty of liquid that it should not dry out and chicken releases extra natural juices while it heats to make a broth.
How to serve this recipe
Make once and serve this recipe for chicken in the crockpot these various ways throughout the week. Make sure to drain the juices first.
- cut or dice and serve in this keto enchilada casserole
- slice and serve over salad
- turn it into chicken salad
- add it to chicken tortilla soup or chicken curry rice soup… or any soup!
- shred it into sandwiches
- serve as is with a side of vegetables such as rosemary roasted potatoes or roasted carrots and asparagus
- Use it in chicken pot pie
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does chicken take in crock pot?
How long does chicken take to cook in the crock pot depends on the ingredients. This recipe includes water to the slow cooker and cooks in 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high. Low lends a more tender piece of meat. Other chicken recipes typically take 4-5 hours on low setting and 2-3 hours on high heat.
Do you need liquid to cook chicken in a crockpot?
Do you need to add liquid to the crockpot when cooking chicken? Liquid makes this chicken extremely juicy and being cooked low and slow tenderizes the meat. You do not always need liquid as chicken naturally releases liquid as it cooks like in this recipe.
More healthy chicken recipes
More crock pot and slow cooker recipes
- Crockpot Creamy Taco Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Pulled BBQ Chicken
- Crockpot Corn Chowder
- Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Quinoa
- Pineapple Ginger Coconut Lime Chicken
- How To Cook Black Beans
I hope you enjoy this easy crock pot chicken recipe! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER for a feature and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to give the recipe a star rating in the recipe area and leave a comment below.