This crunchy and delectable yogurt pecan chicken salad takes less than 10 minutes to assemble, is keto, wholesome with vegetables added, and mouthwatering good! Top this satisfying meal over fresh greens or turned it into a chicken salad wrap with butter lettuce or tortillas.
We have been using up pantry items and canned chicken is on the list when I want a hearty protein-packed lunch. Instead of mayonnaise I like to use nondairy yogurt or Greek yogurt in recipes that call for mayonnaise. So, in this recipe I provide options to make this pecan chicken salad with either yogurt or mayo, for a lower fat option. You can also make slow cooker chicken and use some of it for this recipe.
Pecan Chicken Salad: Ingredients
This pecan chicken salad is pretty much a Waldorf chicken salad recipe, made without grapes or apples (green grapes are sprinkled on the salad after). The grapes add delicious sweetness, but if you are like my hubby and don’t like to mix fruit in savory dishes then feel free to leave them out. Also leaving out the grapes keeps it a low carb salad, so it is optional to add them.
- Canned chicken in water. Make sure to drain out all of the liquid as much as possible.
- Yogurt or Mayonnaise or both! Yogurt has a different flavor than mayo’s cream-like flavor. It is a bit tart, but still delicious. You can use one or the other or combine both for a healthier chicken salad recipe.
- Vegetables such as carrots, celery and onion. Chop the celery and onion very fine and use a fine grater to grate the carrots. Making the carrots fine blends them nicely with the poultry.
- Dijon mustard and herbs provides flavor and compliments the chicken meat and vegetables.
- Pecans and grapes
Ways to use this chicken and pecan salad recipe
- Serve it topped over a bed of leafy greens such as romaine lettuce, baby kale, spinach, or arugula.
- Turn this pecan chicken salad into a tortilla wrap or keep it a keto chicken salad by serving it wrapped in butter lettuce leaves.
- Scoop it into gluten-free pie crust and turn it into a pot pie. Bake the crust according to package directions and heat with the chicken filling at 350 for 20 minutes, covered, or until warmed through.
- Enjoy it as a chicken salad sandwich served in-between two slices of gluten-free bread (or favorite bread).
Can I substitute rotisserie chicken for canned chicken and how much?
Yes! You can substitute a 12.5 ounce can of white chicken meat with 2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken. I have made it both ways and in fact, rotisserie is more flavorful and canned is more convenient😊.
How long does this chicken salad with pecans last?
The salad is best consumed within 1-2 days. Otherwise the pecan nuts lose their crunch and can become soft.
How to make this recipe Keto
Use full fat mayonnaise or full fat Greek yogurt.
Try my other delicious healthy recipes:
- Crostini Tuna Melt Appetizers
- Spinach Salad Recipe Made with Honey Mustard Dressing
- Easy Chicken Breast Recipe with Delicata Squash Sauce
- Chicken Spinach Strawberry Salad with Turmeric Almond Dressing
- Broccoli Tots
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Crockpot Chicken