Quick and easy asparagus leek frittata made with a healthy combination of egg whites and eggs, leeks, Greek yogurt, and asparagus. This frittata not only tastes delicious but is also packed with protein, essential vitamins, and minerals to help you stay healthy and energized. It’s the perfect food to wow a crowd, make ahead, and serve warm.
- What To Love About This
- What’s a Frittata?
- Healthy Ingredients
- How To Make An Asparagus Leek Frittata
- Baking Tips
- Ways To Serve Frittatas
- Make Ahead and Reheating Instructions
- Recipe FAQs
- More healthy related egg recipes
- Asparagus Frittata Recipe
What To Love About This
This healthy asparagus frittata recipe is a great way to start your day! With a combination of egg whites and eggs, leeks, Greek yogurt, and asparagus, this frittata tastes delicious but is also packed with essential vitamins and minerals.
Whether you’re looking for a quick breakfast or a light lunch or dinner, this delicious frittata recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings and win the crowd over. Love asparagus? Be sure to use them also for this easy asparagus and carrots recipe!
Also try our Italian frittata muffins! And if you want another fluffy and healthy quiche recipe then check out this breakfast quiche and spinach quiche, and cheeseless kale and ham quiche on my site.
What’s a Frittata?
A frittata is a basically an egg based crustless quiche. It is full of protein from eggs, low carb, and excellent for a keto and gluten-free diet!
- large eggs – really good eggs with the best flavor should be bright orange in the yolk. Choose organic, free range, or ones for added nutrients and omega’s for more health benefits. See benefits of omega fats to learn why!
- non-fat plain Greek yogurt – this adds beautiful rich creaminess to this easy asparagus frittata when mixed with eggs!
- salt and pepper – you’ll need just a dash for flavor. The cheese and yogurt also adds a bit of salt to this dish.
- oil or butter – such as avocado oil, olive oil, butter or vegan butter.
- vegetables – we use leeks and asparagus but you can also add mushrooms for a variation. I share my best variation details further in this post.
- cheese – like lite Jarlsberg Swiss cheese, Gouda, or Fontina are excellent choices that had subtle flavor that compliment the earthy notes of asparagus and leek.
See full quantities in the recipe card below.
You can make this dairy-free and also add different vegetables. Here are a few variations to this asparagus leek frittata recipe.
- add mushrooms – use 1 leek and 1 cup sliced and washed mushrooms for another version of a healthy asparagus frittata.
- dairy-free – to make it dairy-free use any dairy-free cheese and use oil and swap out the yogurt for coconut yogurt.
- meat – you can add about ¾ cup diced ham or cooked turkey sausage for extra protein!
How To Make An Asparagus Leek Frittata
Preheat the broiler and set the racks in the oven to the center. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, yogurt, and salt and pepper.
In a 10-inch nonstick or cast iron oven proof skillet melt the oil. Add the leeks and cook on medium heat for 4 minutes until fragrant, stirring often. Add the asparagus and cook for 4 minutes until slightly soft, stirring often.
Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and then sprinkle with the cheese. Turn the heat down and cook for 9 minutes in the pan. The frittata will start to set with the center still slightly liquid. Transfer to the oven and broil for 4 minutes until the top is golden brown and the center is set. Use a knife around the edges to loosen before serving.
See full details in the recipe card.
This is such an easy asparagus frittata recipe. It is first cooked on the stove then transferred to the oven to bake and broil for the last few minutes.
My top tip is that broiling times can very depending on the oven. Keep an eye on the frittata under the heat source. I test this baked asparagus frittata with my oven on broil and the frittata baked in the center rack (not up on the top near the broiler).
Ways To Serve Frittatas
Frittatas are great to make in muffin form, serve for breakfast, brunch, and even dinner!
- serve with a refreshing arugula spring salad
- add this healthy spinach salad recipe to the side
- enjoy with this gluten-free banana bread quick bread
- serve with Greek yogurt lemon blueberry muffins
- serve for Easter, Mother’s Day, Christmas holidays, or a special occasion.
You can make it in advance and reheat it.
Make Ahead and Reheating Instructions
Make and bake this egg recipe in advance then reheat it for the next morning or dinner! To reheat frittatas, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Cover the asparagus and leek frittata and place in the oven on the center rack. Heat until heated through, about 20 minutes.