Tender top sirloin steak recipe with a buttery crisp exterior and rich juicy flavors. This hearty sirloin steak served with zesty cauliflower rice is a 30 minutes or less meal that is Paleo, Keto and Whole 30 friendly!
Alright, lets get real with one another. Who doesn’t like a big juicy and tender – melt-in-your-mouth – top sirloin steak? After all, it is one of the best cuts of meat for a steak dinner and also works well in soups.
Honestly, I have to first be real with you. It’s me. I am the one that does not like a big juicy sirloin steak. And after 11 years of marriage my husband still cannot fathom the thought that I do not eat red meat, but he loves it and he grilled this beauty up for you😊.
Related: ButcherBox Review
All of my boys have a deep admiration for steak including top sirloin, filet mignon, flank, ribeye, NY strips, and brisket. What is your favorite?
Out of all the cuts of meat, a top sirloin steak (in particular) is a good choice to serve the family for a steak dinner evening. It is easy to handle and hard to mess up.
When I do purchase our meats, I make sure they are sustainably raised, organic and if possible- grass FINISHED, not just grass fed. Grass finished means that the cow is not fattened up with filler foods at the end of their life…its natural until the end. In turn, the meat from grass finished cows contain more vitamins, minerals and nutrients.
We get ours from ButcherBox, and you can check out my review on their awesome affordable organic meats here.
Related: Juicy Hamburger with Pineapple Salsa
How do you like to eat your steak? Perhaps not as rare as I show here (which is what my husband likes). Maybe you prefer your sirloin steak medium or even well done. I am about to embark on sharing with you how to achieve that perfect seasoned outer layer and tender center to your choice – rare, medium or well-done!
How to grill a top sirloin steak
- Prepare your top sirloin steaks by letting them set to room temperature. You do not need to overdue it with a marinade or rub, as butter (vegan, organic, or ghee), salt and pepper will all do the trick. Baste the meat all over with salt, pepper, garlic and melted butter.
- Heat a gas grill to 450 degrees F and oil the grates with oil rub or spray with cooking oil.
- Add the sirloin steak to the heated grates and grill for 3 minutes, then rotate the steak ¼ turn. Heat an addition 3 minutes. This will put those beautiful grill marks on the meat!
- Flip the steak over, baste it with more butter and repeat on the other side. Sear 3 minutes, turn ¼ turn and heat an additional 3 minutes (6 minutes total per side).
- Rare will take approx. 6 minutes per side, 8-10 minutes per side for medium, 11 minutes per side for well done. The meat will also continue to cook slightly during rest time. This particular cut of meat is best not to overcook as it can become tough and chewy since it is a leaner cut of meat.
- After the meat is finished grilling, set it on a platter and rest for 5-10 minutes.
How to slice your steak for optimal tenderness
After the steak has rested for a few minutes place it on a cutting board. Slice against the grain. You can find the grain by locating the muscle fibers and cut the opposite direction of them. By cutting against the grain, you cut through the muscle fibers which shortens them. This is what makes the meat tender and melt in your mouth!
What to serve with sirloin steak
The manliest meal with meat is a big steak and potato platter. So here are a few options if that is your vibe, along with paleo and keto recipe options as well.
- Serve with rosemary roasted potatoes
- Side salad
- Spaghetti squash noodles
- Cauliflower rice
- Zucchini noodles
- Garlic mashed potatoes
- Potato salad
- Asian green beans with mushrooms
Where to buy the best cuts of meat
It is important for a healthy lifestyle to find lean cuts of meat – preferably organic and grass fed, and if at all possible grass-finished. For convenience you can order healthy and grass finished organic meat online here.
More hearty meat recipes you may enjoy:
- Juicy Hamburger Recipe with Pineapple Salsa
- Whole30 Chicken with Delicata Squash Pan Sauce
- Turkey Meatloaf Packed With Veggies